|Manasic Characteristics and the Planes
On the Physical Plane: Here this quality demonstrates as:
- The selective power of the atoms of the body.
- The adaptability of the physical form to its environment and to its circumstances.
- The ordered purpose of the informing Life, as it affects the physical form and atoms.
- The transmutative power, inherent in man though as yet unrecognized by him, which has
brought him to his present stage of physical existence from that of animal man. It
concerns also the transference of the life on to manasic levels.
II. On the Astral Plane:
- The discriminative power of man to choose between the pairs of opposites.
- His adaptability to emotional conditions, and his power to attain eventual equilibrium.
- The power of man, through conscious purpose, to clear his astral body of
foreign matter, and to ensure its translucence.
- The transmutative inherent power which transmutes, or transfers the life into buddhic
III. On the Mental Plane:
The working out of purpose through the medium of the two lower vehicles. Impulse
emanates from the mental plane.
The transmutative power which transforms the entire lower threefold man into a new form,
the causal body. This process of transmutation is carried on through the entire series of
- In the selective power of man to choose the form through which to manifest. 
- His adaptability to mental currents and vibration, and his utilization of them to
control the lower forms.
the, Abstract Levels of the Mental Plane.
- The ability of the Ego to discriminate as to time and space in the three worlds.
- Egoic adaptation of matter and circumstance of time and environment to the specific need
under the Law of Karma.
- The 'Intelligent Purpose', which lies back of all physical objectivity, and which is
seen working out in every life.
- The transmutation or transference into the Triad of the life of the Ego as it functions
in the causal body. This results in dissociation from manifestation in the three worlds.
To effect this transmutation (which is a point at times overlooked) the Thinker in the
causal vehicle has to do three things:
- Build and equip the causal body.
- Bring about conscious connection or control of the threefold lower nature through the
agency of the permanent atoms.
- Bridge the interlude between the causal body on its own level, and the manasic permanent
V. On Buddhic Levels:
In the ordered purpose which guides the choice by a Master of one of the seven Paths of
endeavor. Thus choice is based on KNOWLEDGE, and not on desire.
In the conscious transmutation He undertakes in the work of evolution, and in the
gradual transference of His own life, and the life of His group, into the monadic aspect
which is reflected in the buddhic.
- Discriminative power here demonstrates as ability to distinguish between the abstract
and the concrete, and to arrive at conclusions apart from the ordinary apparatus - the
mental body and the physical brain.
- Adaptability to Hierarchical enterprise shown by the Initiate or Master, and His
receptivity to life impulses and spiritual currents emanating from the planetary Logos of
His Ray - a thing at this stage impossible of conscious realization.
The synthesizing work of the Brahma aspect as it works out in the blending of the four
minor rays into the third major. 
The transmutation which results in planetary obscuration in connection with five of the
Heavenly Men and which - as in the previous work of synthesis - concerns microcosmic
evolution and is participated in by man. I would call attention to an interesting point:
as more and more of the Monads are resolved back into their source it produces a gradual
obscuration of the particular Heavenly Man in Whose body they are the cells. Though this
may look to human vision as extending over a profoundly long period, from the point of
view of universal or group consciousness it is occurring NOW. For instance, such an event
as the obscuration of the manifestation of the Logos of our Earth scheme is already in
process and began in Lemurian days.
- In the selective work of the adept as it relates to planetary manifestation, and the
discriminative power which guides all action relating to His own planet, and the two
others associated with the Earth, as a systemic triangle.
- The adaptation of groups (deva and human) to certain types of influence, and vibration,
which emanate extra-systemically, and which from high cosmic levels play upon groups,
fostering certain attributes for which we have, as yet, no terminology.
VII. As regards monadic discrimination, adaptability, purpose and transmutative power
it is needless to enlarge.
All these ideas and concepts are of value only in so far as they produce within the
Thinker a more intelligent appreciation of the grandeur of the divine plan, an
appropriation of the energy and force which is his by right of participation in the
processes of manifestation, and a wise cooperation in the furtherance of the evolutionary
plan as it affects him individually and his groups.