|In studying Rule I we could summarize it simply yet profoundly
under the following words:
- Egoic Communication.
- Cyclic Meditation.
- Coordination, or At-one-ment.
The rules start off in A Treatise on Cosmic Fire with a brief summary of the
process and a statement as to the nature of the white magician. 
like in this first consideration of our subject to enumerate briefly the facts given in
the commentary so as to demonstrate to the aspirant how much is given him for his
consideration and helping if he knows how to read and ponder upon that which he reads. The
brief exegesis of Rule I gives the following statements.The downflow
of energy from the soul is the result of
- The white magician is one who is in touch with his soul.
- He is receptive to and aware of the purpose and the plan of his soul.
- He is capable of receiving impressions from the realm of spirit and of registering them
in his physical brain.
- It is stated also that white magic
- Works from above downwards.
- Is the result of solar vibration, and therefore of egoic energy.
- Is not an effect of the vibration of the form side of life, being divorced from emotion
and mental impulse.
The soul is, therefore, in deep meditation during the whole cycle of physical
incarnation, which is all that concerns the student here.
This meditation is rhythmic and cyclic in nature as is all else in the cosmos. The soul
breathes and its form lives thereby.
When the communication between the soul and its instrument is conscious and steady, the
man becomes a white magician.
Therefore workers in white magic are invariably, and through the very nature of things,
advanced human beings, for it takes many cycles of lives to train a magician.
The soul dominates its form through the medium of the sutratma or life thread, and
(through it) vitalizes its triple instrument (mental, emotional and physical) and thus
sets up a communication with the  brain. Through the brain, consciously controlled,
the man is galvanized into intelligent activity on the physical plane.
- Constant internal recollectedness,
- Concentrated one-pointed communication by the soul with the mind and the brain.
- Steady meditation upon the plan of evolution.