|V. The Science of the Antahkarana
As a preparation for
what students need to master, I would like to emphasize certain points by tabulating the
information already given. The Science of the Antahkarana is not an easy one to learn
because of the following points. These emphasized points must be accepted by students as a
working hypothesis prior to all attempted work:
1. The Science of the Antahkarana is connected with the entire problem of energy, but
peculiarly with the energy handled by the individual and with the forces by which the
individual relates himself to other individuals or to groups. For the sake of clarity, we
will give the name of
- ENERGY: to all forces pouring into the individual form from whatever direction and
source. To these major energies, the names of "sutratma" or "life
thread" or "silver cord" have frequently been given.
- FORCE: to all the energies which - after due manipulation and concentration - are
projected by the individual or group in any direction and with many possible motives, some
good and many selfish.
2. The Science of the Antahkarana, technically speaking and for group purpose, is
especially the science of  light manifestation with its results of revelation and
consequent changes. It should be remembered that:
- Light is substantial, and from the angle of the spirit is a sublimation or
higher form of material matter.
- Light is also the quality or major characteristic of the soul in its own realm, and of
the etheric body (a reflection of the soul eventually) in the three worlds of human
- The object of the science with which we are dealing is to fuse the lower and the upper
lights, so that one light shines forth in physical manifestation and a synthesis of light
is consequently brought about.
- Technically speaking, two light bodies exist - the vital or etheric body and the soul
vehicle. One is the result of aeons of incarnating life and becomes in time a powerful
repository of energies gathered out of a wide range of contacts, though conditioned by the
ray type in its three aspects. The etheric body exists and is today functioning
powerfully. The soul body is in process of being slowly constructed, and is that
"house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens" to which the New Testament
refers (II Cor. V, 1). It is interesting to note that the Old Testament refers to the
etheric body (Ecc. XII, 6-7.) and its construction, and the New Testament deals with the
building of the spiritual body.
3. The Science of the Antahkarana must be studied in three ways:
- Concretely and in relation to the etheric body, which is a substantial, tangible
form, and is being so considered (though not as yet universally admitted) by modern
- Egoically and in relation to the soul and to the "light body" through
which the spiritual man must function in the world of souls, and which - when blended and
fused with the etheric body - produces the manifestation of divinity upon earth to a
greater or lesser degree, according to the extent of fusion and the conscious
recognition by the individual of the attained fusion.
- Abstractly and in relation to knowledge-wisdom, which are two words used in
relation to force and energy, and their use by the individual in his environment and
contacts. Ponder on these words. You will realize how necessary it is that there should be
some capacity for abstract thinking before the true implications of this new science can
4. The Science of the Antahkarana is concerned with the problem of the continuity of
consciousness and with the problem of life and death. Keep these two themes clearly in
your mind for they are basic and important.
5. The Science of the Antahkarana deals with the three fold thread which connects:
- The monad, the soul and the personality, linking all three periodical vehicles and
unifying all seven principles.
- The triple personality and its environment in the three worlds of human enterprise, and
later in the other two worlds (making five) of superhuman expression.
- The consciously creative man and the world of ideas. These he must contact and express
through creative work, thus bridging with the light:
- Between the world of souls and the world of phenomena. 
- Between the realm of subjective beauty and reality and the outer tangible world of
- Between himself and others.
- Between group and group.
- Later, when the divine Plan has become a reality to him, between the fourth kingdom (the
human) and the fifth kingdom (the Kingdom of God).
- Finally, between humanity and the Hierarchy.
6. The Science of the Antahkarana is the science of the triple thread which exists from
the very beginning of time and links individual man with his monadic source. The
recognition of this thread and its use, consciously, as the Path and the means of ever
expanding contacts, comes relatively late in the evolutionary process. The goal of all
aspirants and disciples is to become aware of this stream of energy in its various
diversifications and consciously to employ these energies in two ways: interiorly in
self-unfoldment, and in the service of the plan for humanity.